Gas Safety for Tenants and Landlords

engineer fixing a boiler

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a tasteless, colourless and odourless gas that is produced by incomplete combustion. A common source of CO in a domestic property would be a faulty appliance such as a boiler. The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents reports that there are approximately 50 deaths per year and over 1100 hospital admissions annually as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning in the UK.

Protect yourself from the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning by:

Getting your gas appliances regularly serviced and safety checked every year
Fitting an audible carbon monoxide alarm
Checking for warning signs such as a lazy yellow flame or black marks or stains around the appliance

Become familiar with the six main signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning:

Headaches
Dizziness
Nausea
Breathlessness
Collapse
Loss of consciousness
If you suspect a gas leak, or are worried that fumes containing carbon monoxide are escaping from a gas appliance, call the Gas Emergency Service immediately on 0800 111 999.

If you think a gas appliance is faulty turn it off and let your landlord know immediately. Badly fitted and poorly serviced appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. If you feel unwell seek medical help immediately.

Did you know that from October 2015 Landlords are required by law to ensure working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are installed in rental properties in England?

If you’d would like more information about Gas Safety, or would like us to check your appliances, please get in touch.

Call us on 01273 701237
email us at office@bishops-group.com
or use the online contact form.

Our Promise

Customer service is important to us. Most of our work comes through customer referrals. We’re proud of the standard of work we deliver and all our work comes with a minimum six-month guarantee (not insurance backed).